Wednesday, March 3, 2010

My Journey Through Cooking a Chicken...

Ok so last night I decided to cook a whole chicken with some roasted veggies. So here it is...
I started with a whole chicken I bought from the store.







Then I made up a mixture of rosemary, sage, thyme, garlic and olive oil. I rubbed the bird with salt and pepper first.





After that mixture was mixed I rubbed the bird all over the outside and inside the cavity. Also inside the cavity I squeezed slices of lemon and left the slices and also added the stems of the rosemary and thyme I used.I put the bird in the oven set at 475 degrees covered with tin foil for the first 45 minutes then uncovered for the second, an hour and a half total oven time. Next I cut up some zucchini,
red potatoes, onions and carrots and mixed them with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and spread them out on a cookie sheet.






I put the veggies in the oven when I took the foil off of the bird so they were in the oven for about 45 minutes. At the hour and a half mark I pulled both things out of the oven and this is what it looked like..
Needless to say it worked out and tasted wonderful! And after I carved off most of the meat last night I threw the whole thing in a pot, added some chicken stock and water and left it on low heat all night. This morning I took the bones out and added all sorts of veggies to make some yummy homemade chicken soup. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment: