Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Using Kale in a Recipe...

For a while now I've wanted to find a recipe to use Kale in. Kale is a leafy green vegtable, and it happens to have lots of health benefits. I'd tried it raw, thinking I could use it instead of lettuce in my salad, but it just didn't have the salad taste to it.

So imagine my excitement when I found a recipe using Kale in one of the food networks own Giada De Laurentiis...the hot Italian chef for those of you who don't watch.

It's called: Spicy Parmesan Green Beans and Kale.

What you need...
3 tbl olive oil
1 med onion, sliced
1/4 pound of cremini mushrooms, quartered
1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed and cut into one inch pieces
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 red pepper flakes
1 bunch of Kale, rinsed, stemmed, and chopped
2 tbl freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 tbl grated parmesan

What you do....
Warm the olive oil in a large, heavy saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms, green beans, salt, and pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Add the wine and continue cooking until the green beans are almost tender, about 5 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and the kale and continue cooking until the kale has wilted, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice and the Parmesan cheese. Toss to coat and serve immediately.

I made this as a side dish at Easter, and I was VERY impressed, it has great flavor and even a little kick!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment