Tuesday, February 23, 2010
How to Assess a "Fad" Diet...
Here are some key things to look for in order to avoid bad unhealthy diets....
1. If they draw simple conclusions from complex medical research. Without seeing the entire study or understanding how to read the research, it's impossible to understand the conclusions. It's easy for people to take indivdual components of a study to make it applicable to what they want to promote.
2. If they promise weight loss without exercise. It is possible to lose weight without exercise, but there will be a large loss of muscle, and the research has shown that it is very difficult to maintain the weight loss without exercise.
3. Claim to produce quick weight loss. 1 to 2 pounds a week is what is healthy and recommended.
4. Require the purchase of pills, potions, or other dietary supplements.
5. Eliminate an entire macronutrient (macronutrients are carbohydrates, proteins, fats and water) or drastically limit any food group. (like low carb diets) A balanced diet is the best and safest way to successfully lose weight and ultimately keep it off.
6. Offer testimonials from "health professionals"